[Preston] DVD playing

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 09:49:44 GMT 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 23:04, Chris Ganderton wrote:

> Have you tried making sure that your DVD-ROM driver has DMA enabled?

That was the main problem. I was trying to enable it and it wouldn't let me. I
worked out (or I googled until I found someone else with the same problem
who'd worked it out) that it was an obscure kernel parameter. I thought I'd
enabled everything I needed to in the kernel but I needed to enable
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX for my VIA chipset.

Things are working quite nicely now. I can't get much sense out of vlc but I'm
not fussed since xine is working well and it's much more featured and easy to
use.

Dougie