[Preston] DVD playing

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 20:43:02 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 00:31, Richard Revis wrote:

[ ... ]

> First thing, check your chipset - should be this one or similar for ABIT
> KT7
>
> peu at elrsr-1 peu $ cat /proc/pci | grep IDE
>     IDE interface: VIA Technologies, In VT82C586/B/686A/B PI (rev 6).
>
> make sure you have these options for an ABIT mobo in the kernel under
> ATA/IDE section
>
> [*]   PCI IDE chipset support
> [*]     Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support
> [*]     Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
> [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
> [*]       Use PCI DMA by default when available
> <*>     VIA82CXXX chipset support
>
> recompile, reboot, try hdparm again. If it doesn't work check if you are
> using IDE SCSI - if so you need to greate a new devfs node and then apply
> hdparm to that.

Yep - that was the problem. Works perfectly now - in xine anyway, which is
good enough for me.

> Procedure is the same for 2.6.* but they moved the drivers around a bit.

I gave 2.6 another whirl this afternoon. I was thrown for a while as it needs
all that QT stuff to get the GUI, but after that I was quite impressed with
the new look config. I couldn't get it to work with my NVIDIA graphics card
though. I had a quick surf and it looks like it's a known issue that, with
some hacks here and there, is fixable by applying some diffs. But I'm taking
the easy way; I'm back on 2,4 until someone makes it straightforward.

Dougie