[Preston] Bad Debian day

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Mon Feb 23 20:07:01 GMT 2004

'ellow,

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 08:43, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> Must go. Still got some hair left that needs tearing out.

My desktop is now working again so I thought I would reply to this (even
though it is a bit late)...

I am glad to see most of your problems have since been sorted out.  One
thing I would like to add, as I think it might help out a few people is
this:

I am currently running a woody (stable) server and am awaiting the
arrival of sarge.  I have also been tempted to install software from
unstable or testing but, as you have found out, it is fraught with
danger.  IMHO the best thing to do is visit:

http://www.backports.org/

They have a lot of new versions of things like Apache2 and Subversion
packaged up for woody.  The best thing is that you can choose to add to
your /etc/apt/sources.list only the programs you want newer versions of.

The idea is that when sarge comes out, these will be in that.  I have
noticed that backports keep quite up-to-date so I wouldn't dist-upgrade
too much (as the version you have may end up being newer than the one in
sarge, when it is released).

I hope this might help out in the future,bye just now,

P.S. In the last meeting I wasn't sure but it turns out that it /was/ me
who mailed you about alsa and debian -- at the meeting you said it
turned out your card was an Ensoniq.  Now I have got my e-mails back, I
see that you replied to one of mine and mentioned that there.
--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>