[Preston] Re: Linux on my Computers

Granville Cousins granville at yogawithgranville.com
Mon Jan 12 04:06:51 GMT 2004

Hello PLUG,

I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite 2180CDT running Windows 98SE on a
4.2Gig hard disk. I have acquired Fedora which came with Linux magazine
and Mandrake PowerPack Edition 9.0. I would like to install one of
these versions on my Laptop. Which do you recommend and are there any
vital points that I should be aware of before I begin the installation.

On my Desktop, which is a 570 emachines I am running Windows XP Home
Edition on an 80Gig hard disk. I have installed a second hard disk
which is 120Gig. I was thinking of installing Linux on the second hard
disk and keeping Windows XP on the C:/ drive. Again which of the above
versions of Linux would you recommend I use on this machine and are
there any point that I should be aware of before I begin the
installation.

At present I use my desktop PC as a Backup for my Laptop. The
Computers are used mainly to create my Website and run my mailing
list. My Anti-Virus software is AVG and my email programme is The
Bat!.

I am a beginner with Linux and interested in getting to know this
Operating System as I have had the usual frustrating instability
problems with Microsoft Windows.

Looking forward to your reply.

--
Love and Light,