[Preston] Re: Linux on my Computers

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Mon Jan 12 16:36:29 GMT 2004

Granville Cousins wrote:

Hi there!

I'd give Mandrake (or Red Hat, if you can get hold of it) a go first, as
these really are aimed to be as easy as possible for people switching
from Windows - generally the install is straight forward, and they
usually figure out your hardware.  Some people

Once you're comfortable with it,  it might be worth looking around at
some of the others.  I've eventually settled with Debian, mainly because
it's really easy to install new software via the package management
system, and just generally seems really reliable.  I haven't reinstalled
for about 14 months now, and use this seven days a week, sometimes for
 >12 hours a day, for quite a range of stuff- currently got 1,391
packages installed, and I've messed with all sorts.  You might also hear
people telling you that the Debian install is more complex.  I guess
that it is (and for 3.0r0 at least it seems to ask a few unnecessary
things about mime types and stuff that most ppl would rather it just
'did the right thing'), but as I see it, this just provides more
flexibility over what actually gets installed.

I think we also have some Gentoo and Slackware fans here, who I'm sure
have legitimate claims as to advantages their oses have over Debian
(like Gentoo being bang up to date and so on).  I'm just lazy, and stuck
with Debian :)  Lots of ppl are also happy just to stick with Mandrake
and Red Hat too.

Andrew