[Preston] Video Cards & TFT Monitors

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Wed Jan 28 12:14:26 GMT 2004

Les wrote:

>Hi,
>
>  I am new to linux and using Fedora Core 1, going to build a new
>pc at the weekend and was wondering if any of the nice folks here
>could help me.
>I need some help on which video card to buy for about £120.00
>also any advice on TFT monitors.
>
>Thanks

Hi Les,

I bought a 17 inch TFT around October last year for £276, including
VAT.  It's an AOC LM721A model.  It's a silvery colour, comes with stand
and built-in speakers, has a three year on site warranty, and doesn't
have any dead pixels.

I'm really stingy with money when it comes to buying new hardware since
I've got other stuff to do with the money, and most of the time I'm
running on stuff that's second hand or several years old or both - but
since I use them all the time, day in, day out, this screen was worth
it.  It's worked with every system I've plugged it into (but that's only
three at the most), and XFree86 runs perfect on it in 1280x1024x16bpp.
Textmode is fine too - POST looks normal and when the kernel is booting,
that looks normal too in 80x25.  I did once briefly have it connected to
a Windows system where it did 640x480x4bpp.

Got it from microdirect.co.uk over the phone.

Andrew