[Preston] MTU's and Linux

Gareth Llewellyn Gareth at ournetworkismadeofstring.co.uk
Sat Jul 31 03:22:41 BST 2004

Get this people.

Bulldog wants an MTU (maximum transmission unit) of 1458 in order to
communicate correctly. Currently our NIC's are set to 1500 which means we
are only getting around 1103kb instead of our 2272kb that we are supposed to
be getting.

Ok now setting the MTU on our routers external interface to 1458 results in
absoloutly no 'net access. Setting the internal NIC to 1458 as well means we
can get out to the net.

But it gets worse, now although we can get to the net, we can only reach
SOME of the net. Several websites result in "Destination Net Unreachable"
and to make things worse there is no perceivable increase in bandwidth.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?