[Preston] Monitor setting

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 14:50:43 BST 2004

'ellow,

Not sure why it won't fall back to a console (even if it is a fresh
install) but I think I know why KNOPPIX won't let you edit the file.  I
think it mounts your hard disks read-only to avoid losing any data by
accident.  If you re-mount them you should be able to edit the file.

I'll try and remember the steps you might need to take:

1. ``su'' (become root in KNOPPIX -- no password required).
2. ``mount'' should give you the list of mounted devices -- one should
be your hard drive.
3. ``mount <devicename or path> -o remount'' (might need to change that
to ``-o remount,rw'' to force it to mount read-write) should re-mount
the drive for writing.
4. ``mount'' again should show you that the ``ro'' option on your hard
disk has disappeared.
5. Make any changes / copy over ``.old'' file -- this should now be
permitted.
6. Reboot, cross fingers :-)

Hope that helps -- try ``man mount'' or ``mount --help'' if you have
problems as I probably have got some of the details slightly wrong :-).
That's the general gist of it, though.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>