[Preston] ALSA Demo -- Planned and Possible Demo Items

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Mon May 24 22:57:46 BST 2004

'ellow,

This is about the ALSA demo I will be doing next week.  I thought I
would send you all a list of the things I have planned to show you and
then you can say if you'd like to see something else too.

Here is what I have planned...

* Setting up the kernel modules (2.4.x)
* Setting up the user-land utilities.
* Setting up XMMS to use ALSA.
* Using the Mixer (GUI and console)
* Using 2 sound cards with it (I can show how to set it up but I can't
actually demo it because even though my mobo is meant to have a sound
chip, it doesn't, lol).
* Playing MIDI in hardware -- which is actually undocumented :-).

Here are some related things I _could_ show you -- let me know if you'd
like to know about them...

* Filter networks for sound synthesis (in GLAME)
* mpd -- the music player daemon + web interface
* FLAC: What it is, why you'd want to use it and how to convert it to
Ogg and/or that other popular compressed music format.
* netBeep -- make network-able computer music with only your PC speakers
(would require a router and some1's laptop to make a small network
with).  This could run stand-alone on only my desktop (but will not be
as impressive) if the above are not available.

Please reply if you'd like to see anything else, or not like to see some
of the stuff up there.  I'll be prepared to to the optional stuff in
case people'd rather decide on the night.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>