[Preston] Suse Linux 9.1 Pro Installation Problems...

ernie ernie at casque.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 09:59:59 BST 2004

Colonel NFT wrote:
> I have two 80gb Hitachi Deskstar SATA drives set up on a RAID0 setup
> with a software RAID controller.
>
> I have WinXP installed on the drive and want to install Suse Linux. I
> have partitioned the HDD to allow for the installation of Linux but
> when I boot from the 1st CD, a box pops up saying that \hda could not
> be read...
>
> Is this due to the RAID config ??? If so, is there a way around this
> without deleting Windows ???
>
> Any help would be appreciated ...
>
> Regards
>
> Barry

Sounds like your Suse linux distribution doesn't recognise the SATA
controller or your motherboard chip set.

I had this problem earlier this year when trying to install Fedora Core
1 on an nForce2 motherboard with a promise SATA driver. I had to install
Fedora to an IDE drive and compile kernel modules to see the SATA drive.

I have never used Suse linux but I would think that the latest version
should support SATA drives. I do know that the latest version of Fedora
works OK with SATA drives, they show up as scsi drives i.e. /dev/sda.

Ernie