[Preston] UCLAN wifi

Guy Heatley guy.heatley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 11:03:12 BST 2005

There's a good chance the area is covered by WiFi, but the Uni network
is not public. You would need to borrow a MAC registered PCMCIA WiFi
and get someone to log onto the network for you. This (officially)
only works with IE on Windows (there is a way around this but it's a
hack).

So you need:
1) To verifiy WiFi is available there.
2) Borrow a registered WiFi card (I can help, if required)
3) Make sure there is some one there with a uni account to log in with.

After all this you will be limited to external services that run on
port 80 and there is no way round the proxy gateway server if you
require other ports than this!

Check:
http://www.uclan.ac.uk/library/wireless/

Cheers!