[Preston] UCLAN Linux & LAN Gaming Society

admins at losystems.co.uk admins at losystems.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 20:57:20 GMT 2005

Ok people, the UCLAN Linux & LAN Gaming society is now completly up and
running.

LAN Parties will be an integral part of this Societies social events as
well as fortnightly social meetups. We have set up an new website hosted
at www.LoSystems.co.uk The website is designed to be a content portal
where we will notify you of news affecting the Society, interactive
content such as polls for voting on subjects that affect the society. Plus
we are putting together article content for people to read and follow.
Some articles already up include "Securing a wireless Network" and Part 1
of my 4 part series on installing a Home Network. The LoSystems website
will be community driven and you guys will be in charge. We also have
feature laden forums which can be found at http://forums.LoSystems.co.uk
we will have elected moderators (to prevent people abusing their powers)
as well as a novel Karma system. If people receive too much negative karma
then they are restricted in their posting abilities. In our Trouble
Shooting section people can earn "Points" for correctly solving a problem.
The more points you earn the more benefits you will receive.

We have an Online Shop where you can buy CD's (more on that later),
Society clothing, Hardware, Web Hosting and Networking equipment. The
prices are a little "up in the air" at the moment as we iron out the
database.

The Linux CD / DVD burning service means that we will burn ANY distro of
linux you wish for a very cheap price. As part of fortnightly meetings we
intend to 'give away' free software from developers & publishers such as
Rage, CDV and Sierra. CDV have recently sent us copies of their new
release Arena Wars (think UT2k4 meets C&C). We are closer than ever to
securing a University location to hold LAN Parties.

How does this affect PLUG? Well firstly we will have the power of the SU
and Uni publicity machine behind us (hopefully) so (maybe) we can bring in
a large influx of new people to PLUG. We 'intend' to hold our first
meeting of a month to co-incide with PLUG meetings (therefore doing our
Linux side of stuff) and then two weeks later we will hold a meeting that
will be geared more towards LAN Gaming. With our new status it should be
easier to get more kit for use at Meetings. We are already in talks with
ISS regarding giving us kit.

So come along, sign up and experience what the Linux and LAN Gaming Soc
can provide for you. From the 1st of January running through to Refreshers
Fair any signups will be put into the draw to win a selection of prizes,
these prizes range from copies of Games, GAME Gift Vouchers, Creative
branded stuff and a few more suprises we have yet to agree on. Look, I'll
even give you the URL: http://www.losystems.co.uk/register.php