[Preston] Fedora Core3

Granville Cousins granville at yogawithgranville.com
Thu Jan 13 14:43:11 GMT 2005

Hello PLUG,

I tried to install it on my desktop PC but I'm afraid the installation
did not go well. I had already a Fedora Core 1 installation on my
second hard disc in the PC. I chose to Upgrade the new Fedora Core 3
installation and after receiving notification that the installation
was successful, when the computer rebooted it paused and would not
complete. I retried but it failed again at the same point. So I tried
the installation this time choosing to install a completely fresh
installation. This also failed. I then tried to install choosing to
install as a Server. This then gave disastrous results as the messages
I were receiving were saying that there was no access to any of the hard
drives. Even now on a reboot the message I get is that there is no
operating system installed. The computer does have Windows XP installed
in fully working order. So the state of play now is that my computer will
not boot up into anything including Windows.

I think the best option would be to completely remove any Linux
installations from the computer and get back to just running Windows
XP on this computer. And then proceeding possibly with Linux on a
complexly different computer to avoid this type of thing happening
again in the future.

What do you think, and is it possible to retrieve my Windows without
having to perform a complete system recovery which would me mean
wiping the hard disc and loosing my data?

--
Best regards,
 Granville                          mailto:granville at gcousins.wanadoo.co.uk