[Preston] Fedora Core3

Mark Platt Roadrocket at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 14 12:26:10 GMT 2005

Hi there Granville.

Please don't give up on the Linux just yet lol.  As a total noob myself  I
just thought that it might be worth mentioning a couple of points.  I've
only been to one Plug meeting and the guys were just great.  Always ready to
lend a hand to help you fix anything.  So well worth getting along if you
can.

I hear what you are saying about pre installed Linux but the minor problem
( although you can buy them right now ) is really which distribution you are
going to want.  I have tried loads and so far ALL have installed without
problems.  The only one that I was unable to use was Peanut Linux.  I've
tried Mandrake, suse, red hat, Ubuntu, xandros, fedora core 3  and next on
the list will be Gentoo LOL.

I have 4 Pc's all are totally different specs P4 2.4, athlon 1gig, athlon
1900 and a p3 700.  All have different sound, video, network and the like.

 I run a dual boot Win XP pro/ Mandrake 9.2.  A win XP pro/ Red Hat 9.  A
win XP pro/Mandrake 10.1 and Fedora core 3 on its own.  All work well and
found all of my hardware.  The only problems I had were with Winmodems (
once I knew about them, no problem) I used a serial Modem for a while.  Now
I have broadband, the pc is just networked. If I can do it anyone can.  It's
easy and its fun.  Ok so the learning curve maybe a little different to
using windows.  But please don't let that put you off.

See you all at the next meeting in FEB

Regards

Mark %-))