[Preston] Meeting on Wednesday 4th May

Guy Heatley guy at remember-tomorrow.co.uk
Mon May 2 23:44:14 BST 2005

Hello,
I know this is not sticking to the schedule here but what about continuing
where we left off last month with the Linux wireless networking?

The problem is: How do we get a Linux laptop to authenticate to the wireless
network here at the Uni?

Mike and myself have been making brief investigations into this and we now
have:
a) I network card that I know is properly supported by Linux.
b) a MAC address registered with the IT dept here at the Uni.
c) with a logon that matches the MAC address.

BUT we still can't get the whole system to work and authenticate to the
security server that the Uni network uses.

I can ping the host gateway and the proxy but the webpage that is used to
connect to the CGI script that provides authentication doesnt work with
anything other than IE. This is strange because it will work with IE running
on top of Mac Os X, so it can't be a purely Windows thing. I have a feeling
it is something to do with the way IE deals with re-direction from the web
server. The security on the network seems to be implemented with Novell web
manager (or something).

If anyone is interested in grappling with this problem come along to CM018 in
the C & T building on Weds evening from 7:30pm (Fylde Rd, Preston Uni).
Usual drinks afterwards at 9pm ish in the Greyfriar.

(PS Wireless Steve: if you come along on weds could you bring any useful kit
you may have, Cheers!)

Be seeing you!
--
Guy