[Preston] Modem Troubles

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 22:30:29 BST 2005

Does anyone have any ideas about the following?  This is being posted on
behalf of a friend...

``
I installed sarge at the weekend but I can't get my dial up
working.

I used Kppp to set up freeserve using knoppix and it worked fine. The
same settings with sarge don't. Using the same options as knoppix in
/etc/ppp/options does at least stop the connection from crashing
immediately with exit status 1.

These are :

asyncmap 0
noauth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
noipdefault
passive
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
Contains: nameserver 195.92.195.95
          nameserver 195.92.195.95

At the moment the modem will stay connected to freeserve/wannadoo but
will not resolve any URLs so the web pages can't be found. Any ideas?
''

Help would be much appreciated!

bye just now, best regards,

--