[Preston] F/OSS VoIP?

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Fri Sep 9 23:39:47 BST 2005

After the meeting, during which much bitching about proprietary software
was conducted (excellent!) I wondered if there is any modern
SpeakFreely-a-like that could be used instead of Skype.  I have been
forced to use 'doze to participate in conferences before (not Skype
ones, I know it runs on Linux) and am sick of it (plus may not always
have a 'doze box available).

Does anyone know of anything that has been done to compete with Skype
that is also F/OSS?  Does anyone know why SpeakFreely was not continued
to fill this gap?

Any info would be much appreciated!  It is a shame there is no chance of
compatibility with Skype because it's not all Open Standards :-(.  I
don't think there's anyone with the time/inclination to do the
reverse-engineering.  It would be nice to have a complete F/oSS
replacement though (I notice there is one that does the same thing as M$
Passpart now; hope that gathers momentum).

best regards,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>