[Preston] RE: Preston Digest, Vol 94, Issue 1

Michael A Orton michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 9 14:40:58 BST 2006

Chris,
I have three Pcs , one linux only, one win98se/dsl linux, and one dual boot
Xp/suSe9.3 pro.
I use a cheepo MENTOR adsl ROUTER MODEM TYPE mr4c/uk.
The router/modem is connected  directly with the Rj11 cable from the  Inline
ADSL filter which is plugged into the BT socket.
Warning: Every phone/modem/SkyTV/Gas thinktank device MUST have an ADSL phone
line filter.

The Router/modem is then connected to the mains via the little power unit,
I never made it work as a USB device.
Then each PC, up to 4 is connected directly, NO Crossover, from the etrhernet
card/or motherboard to ine of the Ehernet ports on the modem.
The YAST->root password-> hardware-> ADSL on each PC to let it find the ethernet
card on each PC.
Then on any PC open Konqurer/Firefox ( I use Opera in both windows and Linux.,
free download as .rpm, you need the 5 installation Cds  as well, YAST will
grab the files it needs by itself from  the 5 CDs.

Just type http://10.0.0.2 and up will pop a window asking you for your isp
user name  joe_blogs at tiscali.co.uk and your password, xyz123 and then you
will be connected to your ISP.
Then you need to make it more secure as this is the default.
My son's laptop connectes in almost automatically this way when he is a home.
I can't use the network to share files as I have blocked filesharing in windoze
and Linux.

Both my wife and I can be on the same site at the same time and it works
OK, sometimes I even have 3 Pcs going at the same time and it works OK.
I did try UBUNTU, I got to my ISP to surf OK, but I couldn't get my mail,
but I couldn't find YAST in Ubuntu, I don't think it has it so I just couldn't
be bothered to find what you need in Ubuntu to do the same as YAST.

I was able to use the Tiscali supploed SAGAM ADSL in USB mode for windoze,
but never made it work witjh Linux though the masnufacturer does have a Linux
driver for it.
Tiscali don't support Linux (or my hardware or my windows software either).
Don't bother with your ISPs help lines, see if they have a proper forum run
by members. Thers are usually veryy good, the paid for support is from call
centres staffed by people who if they werre any good would be earning proper
pay.
Google for Linux users groups and see if there are any postings for your
ISP and your hardware.

Mentor ADSL Modem/router   MR4C/UK   x4 Cat5 outputs, costs £26 + postage.
Google for it.
The default setting has serious security problems.
There are probably better ones.
PC world and Dixons are useless, expensive, and you will be lucky if they
have even heard of Linux.
Try a back-street Computer shop, they are often staffed by people who actually
know something about PCs.
I got my Cat5 ethernet cables from a recycling centre, a bag full of various
lengths cost a fiver, the same as my Linux only PC, which was dumped by a
Charity Shop and I slipped them a fiver for it.

\the Mentor Comes with a CD with windows drivers and a good .pdf file how
2 do it.
It has a printed leaflet, but its in a sort of Pidgeen ingleesh from the
origional Mandarin!
The CD is in very good English though.

The Cat 5 cables only go in one way. Make sure that they are fully in and
locked.

You can have 1 2 3 or 4 PCs on, none is a master that has to be on, and you
can disconnect any of the cables (when its switched off, I think) and it
still works.

hope this helps.

Mike Orton., CSci., CPhys., MInstP., MSRP., DCT(Batt). PGCE(Wales).
All outgoing mail checked using FRISK's FP-win
or F-prot for Linux with daily updates.

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!