[Preston] April meeting

Georgina gena at mga.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 17:50:27 BST 2008

Hi

Strangely enough, Ubuntu is the distro that offers us the most up-to-date
access technology.  However, installing with orca is very difficult and
there's no support for speakup.  Therefore, providing a sighted person
installs Ubuntu otherwise it's not much use to blind linux users.

I do like to build my own kernel tailored to the hardware anyway, the stock
kernels tend to be rather bloated and don't always provide for my needs.
For example, Fedora 7 2.6.21 kernel have not included AX25 support.
However, the debian sarge kernel 2.6.18 does have the amateur radio support.
But not support for my audio which is required for some of the AX25 support.

Regards