[Preston] Help with Installing Wireless Software

Chris Tompkins chris.tompkins at phonecoop.coop
Fri May 23 19:09:06 BST 2008

Firstly, big thanks for the comments so far.

Mike made a sensible suggestion, which was to buy a dongle that works
out of the box.  I followed up his lead and well, that is the one I've
got.  Allegedly it "works out of the box" with my current system.  So
that has suggested some suitable "FM"s to read. (I'm assuming that it
isn't just ignorance on my part, because the ethernet hardwired
connection works perfectly.)

Georgina's reply forced me to do a bit of thinking in order to make a
sensible statement of where I'm at.  One reason for my confusion is the
information and files on the CD is a load of rubbish.  I went to the
chip manufacturers website (http://www.ralinktech.com), navigated to the
  Linux Support page and discovered that I was downloading the driver.
On opening the .tar.bz I found files that related to the original build
instructions.

And of course, there is the third option: to use a Windows driver.
(Thanks for that Mark!)

Thanks again,

Chris