[Preston] Linux on HP pavilion desktop

Guy Heatley guy at member.fsf.org
Thu Apr 7 12:42:57 UTC 2011

I agree with Gina.

Kernel params at bootup may fix this.

Do you know what stage the freeze occurs?

Offenders for this kind of thing are often graphics chipsets and
chipsets that control the automated power interfaces (ACPI)

If you can run off a Live CD, there must be very little wrong.

Sometimes I have found a newer version of the Kernel actually breaks
with older hardware. e.g. an old Live Knoppix disk works fine, but a new
distro's default kernel causes problems.

Usually there is a way of supplying kernel params in the bootloader.

- --
Guy