[Preston] Saturday 30th July Meeting

Olly Clark olly at ollyclark.org
Sun Aug 7 12:06:37 UTC 2016

Sorry this has taken some time for me to get back to you all with a
summary of last Saturday's meeting, unfortunately a few things at home
and work have distracted me of late.

Anyway, so there was John McMullin (I Think, sorry bad with names,
should have said at the time), Guy Heatley (I think) and me.  We
discussed Preston LUG becoming dormant, what the LUG used to get upto
when it was active, Guy and John were original members of the LUG.  I
introduced myself and how I had come to get involved in PLUG and my
background and Linux usage.  I was a member of Blackpool LUG for several
years and when it evolved into Blackpool Mackerspace.  When it relocated
I struggled to make the same kind of commitment for the group (due to
work and family commitments) so I was looking for something new,  I own
my own business I provide a one stop shop IT solution for new businesses
and small businesses alike all hosted on Linux.  John works for IBM and
is into compilers and has a very keen interest in developing his own
system on a chip he is currently experimenting with an FPGA board, he
thinks it could be an interesting project for the LUG to take on.  Guy
is the founder/LUG Master he ins still working for UCLAN on the
infrastructure side of things supporting the Universities many Databases.

We had a discussion about the practicalities of making an open system on
a chip, both hardware and software is there any truly Open hardware we
could use for the project. We discussed various ARM boards which could work.

The subject of further meets was discussed in detail as well as some
events that might be of interest to the LUG including Wuthering Bytes
which I emailed an itinerary to the group last Saturday, although I
think that might have been updated since I put it together. DEC Legacy
2016 was also mentioned which is taking place in Windermere on 15th and
16th October.  John also mentioned the Preston Computer Programmers
Monthly meetup which is held at Cotton Court, attendance and details is
through the Meetup App and can be found here:
http://www.meetup.com/Preston-Computer-Programmers-Meetup/.

Weekday meetings were discussed and it was decided to through it open to
the mailing list to get a consensus on a evening which would be good for
everyone. We discussed a venue for the meet, Guy thought he could
probably still book a room at UCLAN however he wasn't sure about the
access arrangements as all of the campuses now require RFID card entry
so he would look into the practicalities and get back to the group.
Judging by the emails to the list over the last couple of days it would
appear that there maybe other alternatives available.  So maybe we
should have a vote on what would be a good meeting time for members,
week day (if so what is the preference for a particular day) or weekend
and also what times?

Well I think that was about the some total of what we discussed, oh lots
of coffee was consumed in the process as well, John, Guy if there is
anything I missed please chip in.

Regards

*Olly Clark

*