[Preston] A LUG needs a purpose

markwalton1967 at aol.com markwalton1967 at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 19:28:12 UTC 2016

Guy/Phil,

Really good to hear from you both (I'm sure we have exchanged emails
some while ago).
I'm more than comfortable with organising the meet ups, but keen to get
input from the wider group as to what they are looking for from the
community.

I will pitch up at the Cafe Nero on Fishergate from 2pm onward on
Saturday so people can drop in/out as per their availability and other
commitments. I'll hang around until 5pm although people need not feel
obliged to drink quite that much coffee if they have other things to
squeeze into their day.

If we could start to attract some members of the education community to
come along and get acquainted with Linux, then it may make sense to try
and secure the use of the UCLAN facilities, as Alan O'D does for the
Raspberry Pi sessions each month.

I've just seen Mike Hewitt's note from the Blackpool LUG regarding the
annual Linux Presentation Day, planned for October. Not sure how much
interest we could stir up in a couple of months, but it may make a good
focal point to try and do something for that; I'll drop a note back to
Mike and have a chat with them before I get too ambitious!

Mark