[Preston] A LUG needs a purpose

Guy guy at member.fsf.org
Thu Jul 14 18:21:12 UTC 2016

There you go - I told you: Very little prising required.
In Phil's case, just a light application of coconut oil was more than
adequate. :-)

But as the man with the orthopedic shoe said - I stand corrected.
As Phil said - it was indeed traditionally Wednesdays, not Tuesdays as I
first thought, for PLUG meetings.

But I'm afraid I can't make this Saturday, unfortunately.

Whilst I'm on I would like to make you aware of these guys:
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/raspberry-jam-2308520311

They seem to meet at the Media Factory (the "Lego Brick" building at the
Uni). They are nothing to do with me BTW, and I have never attended
their meeting. I recently bumped into long standing PLUGster Mark
Wallbank (who was having ciggy outside the Dog and Partridge). He
informed me of this group.

Whilst running a raspberry pi is a reasonable noble pursuit, we should
not lose sight of the fact that these devices are classed as "fatally
flawed" in the context of software freedom by the FSF, due to the
proprietary binary blob one needs to even boot them up in the first
place :-)
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

Enough militant FSF ranting from me.

Enjoy the Saturday meeting, and hopefully I'll catch up with the group
at some future event.

Guy

Phil Robinson via Preston: