[Ryedale] Meeting in July

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 16 05:02:58 BST 2006

On Saturday 17 Jun 2006 11:47, Al Girling wrote:

Hi All,

Firstly welcome to all the new members who have both signed up to the RyeLUG
mailing list and also to those who have introduced themselves. All I can say
is sorry for not welcoming you all earlier and thanks to Fintan who replied
straight away. It's also nice to hear from Al again; let's hope things are
going OK.

> We are long overdue our next meet, so I'd like to suggest we try and get
> together early in July to sort out a number of things.  Mon and Tuesdays
> seem to have been most popular choices before.  So, the 3rd or 4th.  Or
> maybe the 10th or 11th at the Spotted Cow in Malton.  Suggestions or
> alterations welcomed.

Both the 3rd and 4th are no good for me unfortunately as I am away on holiday
(desperately needed at this point in time). This is one trip away I am
looking forward to (as opposed to the work trips of late). If we go for the
10th or 11th then that should be fine so long as we arrange it as soon as
possible in order that I don't book the dates for other commitments.

Also if there is anybody in Pickering who can't drive to Malton but wants to
visit the meeting then I'll happily offer a lift.

> I'd like to discuss promoting the group more.  The last time I bought a
> copy of Linux Format at Castle News I noticed they had four different
> Linux magazines on offer - which suggests to me more people who might
> potentially be interested.  The obvious answer here being a
> leaflet/poster campaign.  I know I've suggested this several times, but
> with things in my personal life being upside down recently I'd like to
> try and start this off again.

As I've said before I'll be happy to help out where possible.

> We have had several people agree to present talks.  I need to ask again
> to make sure they are still happy with this.  Also the venue for a
> proper presentation needs to be confirmed, but the Brooklyn Centre at
> Norton looks good and I'm told we should be able to use their data
> projector too.

My offer of talks still stand. If we could get the use of a projector that
would be fantastic also; so much better than sat around a tiny screen.

> I'd like to list the talks I hope we may present, but as it's been some
> time since I contacted most of those who offered it seems unfair without
> re-confirming the various kind offers.  However, I will say that I hope
> to put together talks on Vim, Mutt and GPG at some time myself.  These
> will be at a pretty introductory level, but should get people started
> with them.

I've started a talk on setting up a simple Linux mail server (at a very
introductory level). I also started a talk on kernel compilation many moons
ago which I still have (and could finish). I'd be happy to do others also
such as an introduction to Linux; installing Linux would also be good for
some people. Whatever really.

> Perhaps we might also talk about any projects we have on-going or hope
> to start.  I have a couple I'd be interested to hear your views on.
> Project bee-cam is still on the cards and I've done a little more
> research into how this might be accomplished.  Also, I've just returned
> from Cornwall where I attended a course held by Dick Strawbridge at
> Newhouse Farm learning how to make bio-diesel.  This offers some
> possibilities for controlling various stages of the process which might
> suit the use of a low spec machine and a few sensors etc.

What? The Dick (Scrapheap Challenge) Strawbridge? I'm jealous.

> Lastly, it seems that I'll be making a chocolate and honey cake to try
> and bribe people to turn up with.  I might add the honey is lovingly
> squeezed from my own bees to make this cake.

Ummmmm!! Donoughts.

> I'll contact the pub early this week to check on the dates, but if we
> could have any preferences made known - so much the better.
>
> Toodle pip,
>
> Al

Regards,
Paul.