[Ryedale] For Jamie

Paul melchizedek_pr at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 20 02:10:46 BST 2006

> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:30:50 +0100
> From: thefatsamurai at yahoo.co.uk
> To: ryedale at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Ryedale] Good evening all!!!!!

Hi Jamie,

Apologies if this is out of sequence. I'm struggling to understand how to reply to a specific post and have it appear right after the preceding one in the list. I've tried emailing to the list address, and just hitting reply. Both have resulted in out of sequence replies so far. If this one's out of sequence again a few tips from someone would be helpful.....lol.

> Heh. Your Linux travels seem familiar to mine. I was a bit of a distro
> freak up until recently. I have tried pretty much everything (with the
> exception of Slackware, which I did install but never got past basic
> configuration).

Yeah, same here. I had a few distro's that wouldn't boot at all...but when faced with a flashing cursor and no idea whatsoever as to what to type in, I
do tend to get a bit nervous. I know it's a bit pathetic, but graphical interfaces work for me everytime.

Many gave me various niggling problems which prompted me
> to change to another, ending up in some sort of loop and a few knackered
> cd trays. I stuck with Debian for quite a while, now, like you, I have
> settled on Ubuntu. I get all the debian geekiness with a lovely front
> end - and most importantly - 'it just works'.

That's exactly it. It seems with each distro you get some aspect that just plain doesn't work. So you try another which fixes that problem...but creates a
whole new set of problems for you, which the last distro didn't have. Very annoying.

> I think so. Like Al said, it's all down to compatibility. The only thing
> that doesn't work on this machine is the wireless pcmcia card. Really
> that was my fault for not checking properly whether it was compatible.

Well, when I was trying to get my Speedtouch USB modem working, all I kept reading was Winmodems are rubbish...get a hardware modem you clown.
Sounds like great advice (apart from the clown part). But finding a hardware ADSL hardware modem wasn't as easy as I'd expected either. Everyone seems
to connect through ethernet these days. So I'm currently connected using my friends spare Speedtouch ADSL.

> Oh yes. There is always compromise. I can't just go into a shop and pick
> up any bit of whizzy hardware that I like the look of. I can't play the
> latest games (not that I have a wish to anyway, i prefer a monopoly
> board or some such..)

That's a little frustrating. Not everything has written on the box "Will work marvellously on Paul's computer". That would be nice wouldn't it? Most of the
hardware hunting has to be done online, and is simply a matter of asking around to see if people have used it before and whether Linux was happy with it
or not. But even that doesn't seem to be an exact science since certain combo's of hardware produces problems too. I was toying with the idea of buying a 64
bit board......googled it.....all Linux users seemed to rave about it...then I hit three reviews which had it down as the software equivalent of a manure heap.

>and I find that i'm stuck with windows for
> photoshop. It's a damn site better than a few years back though and
> getting better all the time. I'm here for the ride.

Same. Each installed Distro has improved. When I think back to when I used to run Red Hat, it ran very wobbly indeed, but this was back in
the days when I used Windows 98 as well and that was appalling to use...freezing up at critical moments, the blue screen of death, and generally being
annoying to the point of you wanting to crush your head between two slices of bread and eat it. So comparitively it didn't seem too bad...lol.

> Welcome to the group. I hope you got 'some' sleep.

Thanks...although I'm not too optimistic. Tonight's another hot one. I think I'll probably have to hibernate during the winter to catch up on lost kip.

Kind regards....Paul