[Ryedale] Meeting in July

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 11:44:26 BST 2006

Hi folks,

We are long overdue our next meet, so I'd like to suggest we try and get
together early in July to sort out a number of things.  Mon and Tuesdays
seem to have been most popular choices before.  So, the 3rd or 4th.  Or
maybe the 10th or 11th at the Spotted Cow in Malton.  Suggestions or
alterations welcomed.

I'd like to discuss promoting the group more.  The last time I bought a
copy of Linux Format at Castle News I noticed they had four different
Linux magazines on offer - which suggests to me more people who might
potentially be interested.  The obvious answer here being a
leaflet/poster campaign.  I know I've suggested this several times, but
with things in my personal life being upside down recently I'd like to
try and start this off again.

We have had several people agree to present talks.  I need to ask again
to make sure they are still happy with this.  Also the venue for a
proper presentation needs to be confirmed, but the Brooklyn Centre at
Norton looks good and I'm told we should be able to use their data
projector too.

I'd like to list the talks I hope we may present, but as it's been some
time since I contacted most of those who offered it seems unfair without
re-confirming the various kind offers.  However, I will say that I hope
to put together talks on Vim, Mutt and GPG at some time myself.  These
will be at a pretty introductory level, but should get people started
with them.

Perhaps we might also talk about any projects we have on-going or hope
to start.  I have a couple I'd be interested to hear your views on.
Project bee-cam is still on the cards and I've done a little more
research into how this might be accomplished.  Also, I've just returned
from Cornwall where I attended a course held by Dick Strawbridge at
Newhouse Farm learning how to make bio-diesel.  This offers some
possibilities for controlling various stages of the process which might
suit the use of a low spec machine and a few sensors etc.

Lastly, it seems that I'll be making a chocolate and honey cake to try
and bribe people to turn up with.  I might add the honey is lovingly
squeezed from my own bees to make this cake.

I'll contact the pub early this week to check on the dates, but if we
could have any preferences made known - so much the better.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>