[Ryedale] Update

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 17:52:03 BST 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:46:35PM GMT, Jamie Adams wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 22:45 +0000, Al Girling wrote:
>

> > Jamie, I spotted you'd signed up.  I was wondering if you'd share any
> > details of setting up the LUG you think appropriate.  Something I'm not
> > sure about is the IRC channel.  I'm under the impression that #ryedale
> > is not something reserved for us, but that anyone can claim it.  Am I
> > close?  How did you go about setting it up for SLUG?
>
> Hmm. Don't think I really have any useful suggestions for you.. it was
> all so long ago :)
>
> The website is great by the way. I really like it. It's very clean and
> spacious. I prefer it to the Scarborough one actually, and that's saying
> something since I designed and built it.

This version of the site is now live at http://ryedale.lug.org.uk so
have a look and bookmark it now.

I've been trying to contact various people to start the publicity going
and had a reply from the Linux Format team who say they are happy to add
our LUG to the list in the magazine.  I've also contacted Linux online
and the Open Document Project and hope to hear from them soon.  The
Linux counter team has been contacted and our entry is waiting in the
holding area for approval.  I'll contact the Ryedale.co.uk people too
and see if we can get a link from them.  I was going to contact the
council to see if the district's site might make a link for us, but I
can't see where a link might go so don't know if it's worth it.  Can
anyone else think of anywhere to try.  Should see if CSL has a intranet
we can try to get a message out with?

Anyone think of anywhere else?

> You're right on the IRC thing. The channel is not reserved for you but
> it's there for the taking. When someone is in the room it will appear on
> the channel list, then when the last person leaves the room it will
> disappear into the ether again. I used to keep the room open permanently
> using an eggdrop bot[1]. They have a number of other uses too.. logging
> for example. You could even get it to serve up man pages but thats a
> whole other email.
>
> [1] http://www.eggheads.org/

OK, I don't know we need to go down that road just yet so I'll leave as
is for the moment.

> > Any ideas, changes, rewrites or additions for the site. please shout.
> > It would be nice to get a basic version live on the lug box before too
> > long.
>
> I'd say it looks pretty much there already..

Thanks very much.  I think we have a good start.  Another meeting would
be good. How about Mon 10th, Tues 11th or Wed 12th.  Maybe the beginning
of the next week might be more suitable.  What do you think?

Time to start brushing up on those poster designing skills!

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>