[Ryedale] Last nights meeting

Paul Teasdale pdt at ryetek.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 13:22:54 GMT 2006

Hello All,

Firstly I would like to say a big thankyou to Jonathan Worthington for
taking the time out to come a do a talk last night (well two talks as it
turned out). Although the turn out was not brilliant I'm sure everyone
will agree that it was very useful for those that did manage to make it.

Most people at last nights meeting were already programmers (or had some
experience of programming) and so Jonathan changed his talk from "An
Introduction To Perl" to "Inside A Virtual Machine" and "Type Systems
(Thankyou, But You're Not My Type)". He also offered to come back at some
point and do the "Introduction To Perl" talk which was good of him.

One of the 'side-tracked' topics which came up last night was the MS /
Novell patent deal for which I am posting a few links to bring people up
to speed on what's happening:

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/20/microsoft_claims_linux_code/
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/nov06/11-20Statement.mspx
http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/community_open_letter.html