[Ryedale] Server Project

Paul Teasdale pdt at ryetek.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 21:56:25 BST 2006

On Wednesday 04 Oct 2006 20:47, david richards wrote:

Hi Dave,

> I have been offered an old PC which may be suitable for use as a test
> server for the group, I'll know a bit more about it when I get it tomorrow
> it is a P200 or something. Is anyone interested ?.

That sounds fine as a test system. Debian would be a good distribution to try
on that in my opinion but I am open to other suggestions.

Perhaps we could set it up with chosen distro at one meeting and then get the
laptops along for subsequent meetings and follow a topic. So, for example, we
could get Samba up and running on the server with both a few Windows and
Linux laptops as clients. For another session we could get Apache/PHP/MySQL
up and running and use the laptops as clients once more.

I started a simple Linux mail server presentation a while ago now. If we can
get an actual Internet connection up and running in the Brooklyn Centre then
I would be happy to carry out the presentation and actually set it up on the
server for real.

In short I'm interested so count me in.

Regards,
Paul.