[Ryedale] Debian etch

Mark Brier (Lists) lists at openitup.org
Wed Apr 11 11:31:57 BST 2007

Jam Adams wrote:
> Fintan Gaughan wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I only been on Debian few weeks now and i know some of you are using
>> Debian.
>>
>> Forgive me for getting confused here been a Fedora/red hat for a
>> number of years.. I think i am on debian testing which is now Debian
>> Etch because Debian stable would not work with my graphics card so
>> thats why i am on Debian stable.
>>
>> Do i carry one as i am like apt-get update and the likes. Do i need to
>> do Apt-get dist upgrade?
>
> Not unless you want to do an upgrade to the new version of testing
> 'lenny'. You are now on stable so you can do the normal upgrade routine.
>
> Jamie

Actually, thsi would depend what keyword you are using in
/etc/apt/sources.list

You can use either the codename (sarge / etch etc.) or the branch
(stable, testing, unstable etc.)

If you are using the word etch, then you are now on the stable release
if you do an apt-get upgrade. If you were using the word testing, then
you will now be on the new testing (lenny as pointed out above).

HTH

Mark
--
  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
 / v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org