[Ryedale] Debian etch

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 11:32:48 BST 2007

Hi Fintan,

Fintan Gaughan wrote:

--%<--

> Forgive me for getting confused here been a Fedora/red hat for a
> number of years.. I think i am on debian testing which is now Debian
> Etch because Debian stable would not work with my graphics card so
> thats why i am on Debian stable.

Etch was the testing release for Debian until last weekend when it was
upgraded to stable.  The testing branch is now Lenny!

> Do i carry one as i am like apt-get update and the likes. Do i need to
> do Apt-get dist upgrade?

I'm a little hazy on this myself, but I'd look in /etc/apt/sources.list
first to see if the line like:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

has testing or etch in it.  If testing, then I'd say that that unless
you want to be getting updates from Lenny, I'd change 'testing' to
'etch'.  If you like the idea of Lenny, then I'd make some proper
backups before going for the upgrade.

Sorry I can't offer better advise, but I'm not sure about the dist
upgrade thing myself.

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>