[Ryedale] Debian etch

Mark Brier (Lists) lists at openitup.org
Wed Apr 11 12:02:56 BST 2007

Al Girling wrote:
> Mark Brier (Lists) wrote:
>> Jam Adams wrote:
> --%<--
>>> Not unless you want to do an upgrade to the new version of testing
>>> 'lenny'. You are now on stable so you can do the normal upgrade routine.
>>>
>>> Jamie
>> Actually, thsi would depend what keyword you are using in
>> /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> You can use either the codename (sarge / etch etc.) or the branch
>> (stable, testing, unstable etc.)
>>
>> If you are using the word etch, then you are now on the stable release
>> if you do an apt-get upgrade. If you were using the word testing, then
>> you will now be on the new testing (lenny as pointed out above).
>
> You both beat me to it.
>
> I know you've been subscribed for a while now Mark, but this being your
> first post here, I'd like to welcome you to the list.
>
> I see from your phone number that you are in Manchester, not likely to
> see you at many meets then, still, you're very welcome here.

Thanks Al.

I am based up in Manc, but I am subscribed to (what I think is) every
LUG in the country. I like to stay up-to-date on all things linux and
keep an overview. Our LUG, Man-LUG despite being the first LUG in the
country is very very quiet and I'm a replier of threads as opposed to a
starter!

In the vein of introductions / welcomes etc, a little about me...

I've been using Linux for about 6 years as a hobbyist and around 4 years
as a job. Currently I work for the National Computing Centre (In manc).
For the last year I've been working on a project to facilitate FOSS
takeup in the voluntary sector. This is just drawing to an end this week
and I'm not sure what my future holds presently. My main Linux
experience is building and maintaining servers, however I am also a
massive fan of desktop linux. I use Debian generally for both but in the
past I've been a big gentoo fan too. I have used SuSe and RH but don't
particularly like either. I won't go into reasons unless anyone's
interested!

Anyhow, if im in the area when a meet is on I'll be there!

  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
 / v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org
/( _ )\ PubKey - http://www.openitup.org/keys/markatopenitup.asc
  ^ ^	+44 (0)161 2422132 / +44 (0)7793 036840