[Ryedale] New ADSL Router giving me grief.

Paul melchizedek_pr at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 19:30:20 BST 2007

Evening all,

I don't think I've posted here since I joined, so that goes to show you how
stable Linux has been....lol

Anyway, I have a bit of a problem that maybe someone could give me a little
advice on. My Linux skills are a bit feeble, but I get by, so be gentle. The
problem is this…..

Recently I bought a D-Link ADSL/Router (DSL-G624T). I was getting a tad cheesed
off with messing around installing the USB Speedtouch firmware all of the time and
thought it would be a fairly decent move, which as it happens, it probably was.
I plugged it in, whacked in my username and password and Bob's your Uncle (or
in my case my father). Everything worked fine...with the added advantage of me being
able to use live distros for once. So everyone’s happy.........sort of.

I've been using Kubuntu for over a year now...started with Dapper, before
moving onto Edgy...then, for some weird reason, I decided to try out
Feisty...despite being warned it's only any good if you know what you're
doing...and I don't...clearly. Anyway, I did run into a few problems with
Feisty. Not with it's operation, but with packages...and conflicts...and other
weird stuff...which was hampering my ability to update security fixes etc. So I
decided on a format and reinstall of Edgy (the last stable release). All went
well, but after installation I started having weird problems. For example,
Firefox wouldn't connect to the web. I simply got the "connecting to webpage"
message, but nothing ever connected and eventually I got the time out message.
The freaky thing is, Konqueror worked just fine. It connected as if nothing was
wrong.

Anyway, after loads of general twiddling, not to mention tweaking and general
messing around....nothing improved. For some reason I decided that installing
Dapper might be worth a bash (Don't ask me the logic behind that decision as
it's patchy at best). Exactly the same problem. Also a similar problem with a
few live distros I tried. Always Firefox won't connect. Always Konqueror will.

At this point you're probably thinking...."just use Konqueror you
fool....what's the matter with you?"

Well firstly, I quite like Firefox….particularly a few of its funkier
extensions. Secondly, the problem’s not just restricted to Firefox. In Synaptic
I tried to enable the basic repos, pressed "reload" and after ages of
nothing happening, I'm getting the error message of............

”Could not download all repository indexes

The repository might be no longer available or could not be contacted because
of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be
used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection
and the correct writing of the repository address in the preferences".

I tried some different repos and same problem, so I’m
guessing it is indeed a network problem. So I had a quick glimpse in the network
settings and have to confess, I have no idea what any of them do.

I’m running a fairly basic system….Kubunto Dapper, 2800
Athlon, 1GB, 2 x 160 GB hard drives, DVD writer etc.

Any ideas chaps and chappettes?

Kind regards….Paul