[Ryedale] Gramps and image display problem

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 00:32:25 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

This is an on going problem that Dave and Paul have been helping with
and I thought it time to throw it open to all here.

To set the scene, I'm using Gnome gramps 1.0.11-1 so not the latest.
Still, it is the current version for Debian Sarge.  This may all be
sorted by using the latest version and an upgrade to Etch is on the
cards soon, but anyway, the problem.

My family tree is progressing well and I have over 70 images.  I've been
generating an html based report which seems to work well until I try to
view them on a Windows machine with Internet Explorer.  There the images
failed to show and when you try to view the images alone they still will
not display.  Further more, the images don't display when checked using
Paint Shop Pro giving an invalid image message.  Finally, I have a link
to my website on the page for myself.  If this link is followed using IE
then images in subsequent pages fail to load.  Pretty weird!

This leads us to think that problems lie with both the images and the
html generated by gramps.  Indeed, if the images are saved again they do
display correctly, and checking the html with a validator a number of
warnings are given.  Correcting these made the images display correctly
for Dave and the corrected files he returned to me, from the test
sample, did make the .jpg work on an XPsp2 machine with IE7 but failed
to display the .png!

During our chat on IRC last night, Paul found that if the files were
served via a web-server then IE showed the images OK.  How did your test
at work today go Paul?

The pages and images are fine when viewed using Firefox on a Windows
box.  It is starting to look like a possible Microsoft security device
preventing the opening of such files as when checked on older machines
than XPsp1 the problem didn't exist.  I can't see that there is a
problem with the images and I know the the html code could be better,
but can't see it being so dire to cause these problems either.

I don't know if Paul or Dave can remember other things tried last night
that I've forgotten that they'd like to add.  Does anyone else have any
suggestions?

At the moment it's looking like my best option to show relatives the
tree I've created is to upload it to some webspace which is password
protected in some way to hide the details of the living from prying
eyes, which should work OK.  I was hoping to simply carry the files with
me on my USB stick, but it doesn't appear to be that simple!

Thoughts please!

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>