[Ryedale] Executing scripts on login

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 17:07:22 BST 2007

Hi folks,

I've been struggling to get a script I have to run when I login.  Bear
in mind this is login not boot up.

In the past I've run a little script to send myself an e-mail containing
the output from birthday and calendar.  This has been run through cron
in the past and set for a couple of times a day when I'm most likely to
be using this machine.  However, it would be better if it ran when I
logged in.

>From what I've read it should be a simple matter of adding the script
name to .bash_profile and the next time I log in the script will be run.
This doesn't happen, so I'm running it from .bashrc, which is OK, but
means everytime I open another term/shell the script is run.

Can anyone tell me if .bash_profile is the correct place to run this
from or if you have other info which might be helpful.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Linux User: #290080             <http://counter.li.org>
Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>