[Ryedale] May Meeting

Al Girling acgirling at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 15:45:37 BST 2008

Hi folks,

I'm starting to get the meeting for May organised now.  I've booked
the room at the Brooklyn Centre for the 19th May, starting at 7:30pm.

We should be having at least one, but possibly more, come over from the
Scarborough LUG to complete their GnuPG key signing.  So, if you are
keen to contribute to this you should bring photo ID and signing slips.

I plan to bring my machine to give folks a look at Gramps (genealogy
software).  I've not used any other so I can't compare it with Windows
based packages, but that's not my intention for the evening.  I simply
want to let folks see what it looks like with a sizable family tree.

I'm also gearing up to organising a gathering of folks for a mapping
party for the Open Street Map project.  I'm struggling a little with it
myself as the Garmin Etrex GPS that Dave has kindly loaned me seems very
reluctant to talk Linux!  I might just have to bite the bullet and get
my own GPS that I know works.

I've been sending out a few invitations to mappers in the area.  So we
might get a good start and even map the area around the Brooklyn Centre
on the night.  What I'm hoping for is to get a few knowledgeable mappers
attend so that those of us new to the project get a hands on demo of how
it works.

Well, that's the plan so far.  If you'd like to see or discuss anything
else please shout.

Yes!  There will be cake, and we'll probably talk about Landies. :)

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Linux User: #290080             <http://counter.li.org>
Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>