[Ryedale] Executing scripts on login

Al Girling acgirling at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 09:10:44 GMT 2008

Hi folks,

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 05:07:15PM BST, Al Girling wrote:

--%<--

> From what I've read it should be a simple matter of adding the script
> name to .bash_profile and the next time I log in the script will be run.
> This doesn't happen, so I'm running it from .bashrc, which is OK, but
> means everytime I open another term/shell the script is run.
>
> Can anyone tell me if .bash_profile is the correct place to run this
> from or if you have other info which might be helpful.

This took a little solving as all the normal start-up file failed to
work.  It seems that my choice of GNOME as desktop is the cause as it
calls its start-up files from ~/.config/autostart/ which are created
from Desktop > Preferences > Sessions which has a tab Startup Programmes
which is self explanatory.  This works, but means that if I choose to
install another window manager I'll probably have to set up other files
and when trying .xsession discovered the presence of .xsession prevented
the GUI login from working.

Any way, progress was made and the problem solved.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Linux User: #290080             <http://counter.li.org>
Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>