[Ryedale] RyeLUG website license

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 16:57:21 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:31:58PM GMT, Matt Lee wrote:
> Non-Commercial would not be a similar license to a free software license.

Sure.

> What do you think people will do with the information on the site? :)

Who knows, but while I might be the benevolent dictator of this group at
times, I felt that people likely to contribute to its web site contents
should be able to choose an option that prevents others from profiting
from their hard work if they wish.

I raised this with two options, but clearly others might suit better.
I've been trying to find a way of using the copyleft symbol, but can
find no ascii or unicode for it.  Is it possible to add this to a page
without resorting to creating an image of a reversed ©?  I found a long
thread at unicode.org started by Werner Lemberg about adding the
copyleft symbol to unicode.  This was dated from 2000, I guess his
attempts were unsuccessful.  The criteria for its inclusion seemed to be
hinged on presenting the unicode team with evidence of its regular use
in text documents.  Bit of a chicken and egg senario if you ask me.
Apart from hand written text how can you use something that has no
character encoding available to it on a computer?  The FSF web site was
included for criticism for not using the symbol created by its founder
and supposed to represent its own license.

I'm not writing this to 'have a go' at you or the FSF, but as a request
to someone who has a position within the FSF that might be able change
things.  If the unicode folks just need to see the copyleft symbol in
use then I'd sure like to help by using it.  If you can help me do that
then I'd be grateful!

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Linux User: #290080             <http://counter.li.org>