[Ryedale] old laptop debian installed

Stephen O'Neill squid at thefloatingfrog.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 10:38:59 BST 2008

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> But if i install debain with out  the "linux acpi=off" it hangs at the
> (if i remember correctly) probing pcmia .

Sounds as though that would be worth pursuing... I've never used PCMCIA
but it sounds like your kernel's not enjoying talking to your slot? Does
disabling ACPI disable PCMCIA or is it possible bring up that device
after boot, I dunno? A quick look at 'pcmcia hang' looks like you're not
on your own.

> the laptop is question is  sony vaio pcg-fx103

I think that Intel chipsets have more consistent support than others.

> Another thing i was a freinds house and he had an expensive laptop and
> i ran ubuntu live everything works perfectly... told wife we are going
> to live on beans on toast till we get one :-)
>
> You can guess what her reply was.....

I'm guessing that the response wasn't overly enthusiastic? Maybe this
will tempt her?

http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Category:Baked_Bean_Recipes

--
Stephen O'Neill