[Ryedale] GIMP problem

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri May 8 09:15:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 05:40:39PM BST, Paul Teasdale wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 May 2009 09:54, Al Girling wrote:
> >
> > I have a new digi camera which is very nice, but when I try to view the
> > images it creates with GIMP I get a message saying that the plugin
> > failed and GIMP can't open the image.  It seems to be viewable with all
> > other methods I try, but it's clearly frustrating to find my image
> > editing software unable to deal with said images.  I'd be interested to
> > know if another version of GIMP and it's plugins has similar problems
> > and if installing a newer version will solve my problems.
> >
> Hi Al,
>
> Long time no see. Sorry about that but just been so busy. I've tried this on
> Gimp 2.2.13 (Debian Etch) and it does not work for me either although you can
> view it with other tools just fine.

Thanks Paul, that's the final conformation I was looking for.

If I'm feeling enthusiastic and have sufficient time I might go for a
compile of GIMP 2.6.0 for the experience, but suspect I'll just end up
going for the upgrade to Debian Lenny soon instead.

In the mean-time I bodged a bash script to run Imagemagicks convert on
all the .JPG file the camera creates giving me copies in .png format.
Which is okay, but not perfect.  It does allow me to edit the image
files to sane sizes though.

Thanks again to all.

Toodle pip,

Alistair Girling