[Ryedale] Meeting 16th March

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 14:23:50 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Thought those who didn't make it on tuesday would like an idea about
this months meeting.

To start, it was good to have five of us meet at Will's Bar.  Paul T,
Paul E, Fintan, Martin and myself gathering to shoot the breeze, set the
world to rights and consume too many soft drinks!

A couple of things from Fintan.  He showed us a desktop he's been using
for an elderly customer of his.  This is suitably called Eldy, for more,
look at: http://www.eldy.eu/ looked very nice and simple.  He also
mentioned a possible new venue for us in Pickering.  A conference room
in some offices with an Internet connection.  He's promised to twist his
mates arm to find out more for us.

I broached the subject of a Facebook page, but neither for or against
was the result.  A picnic in summer met with a more positive response,
so I'll look into this further as the weather becomes more suitable.
Paul E. confessed that he'll be giving a talk at YLUG soon, something
which I think we can forgive him for, easier than his admission to being
an Emacs user. :p He thought that it might be worth suggesting another
joint GPG keysigning party with YLUG, which I'd like to look into
further.

Many other things were discussed too, but sadly I'm suffering from a
dodgy memory today, so f anyone else would care to add to this thread
I'll make sure a proper write-up goes on the 'Meetings' page on the
site.

All in all, I think we're on to a good start for '10.

Next meet was a Tuesday evening at Will's Bar again, which I make the
20th.

Toodle pip,

Alistair Girling

Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>