[Ryedale] Could ya take a peek please?

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 09:44:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 08:20:29AM GMT, Martin Wheldon wrote:
> Hi Ali,
>
> Doesn't look too bad to me either, does attempt to run shed loads of
> javascript from all over the place though.

Thanks for taking a look.

I'd say that visually it's acceptable, but I'm not keen on the short
sections with links to full articles, but that's probably me being in a
minority of one.  My big issue with it is the speed with which it loads
pages, some of which still hadn't loaded after ten or fifteen seconds
for me.  As Paul knows, I'm not exactly cursed with the slowest of
connections here, so I'm fairly certain it's not my connection.  One
page in particular, the TalkDCA page, which is the new on-line forum
simply doesn't work for me.  A click on any of the links to posts from
members gives me five seconds of blank white page before returning me to
the exact same page I was on.

As Martin notes, it seems to be transferring huge amounts of data from
all over the place, I gave up trying to count the number of places.  I
have no idea why people feel the need to be able connect pages like this
to Facebook or Twitter, but I'd bin that for starters.

I can't help feeling the site is more concerned with looking good and
being trendy than actually conveying information, but wanted to hear
from others in case it was down to my creaky old system.

Because the pages seemed so slow to me, I ran the index page through the
W3C validator which gave fifty errors and six warnings, this on a page
that actually loads fairly swiftly compared to others in the site. If
that's the standard of coding on a site that's just been published I
rather dread to look at the pages I had problems with.  I guess that I
may be up against the old saying of 'The beauty of standards is there
are so many to choose from'.

Thanks again Paul and Martin for having a look and getting back to me!

Alistair Girling

Home-page:                      <http://al.sdf-eu.org>