[Ryedale] 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium opinions after 5 months use. Only 1 BSD!

ALEX ARMANI alex.armani at live.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 06:01:55 UTC 2011

I've been running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium on a late 2o1o 3.2 GHz. Dual Core Athlon with 3 gigs of RAM, 32o gig hard drive. The Acer Aspire 5551 {A crackin' li'l' laptop for the price!} since February 2o11 having run Linux only mostly Ubuntu Studio but also Desktop dual booting always 64 bit for 3 years, having run XP Pro prior to that never XP Home or Vista. Now got Windows 7 Home Premium free with my laptop. Bought and paid for. For home use. Mostly Facebook games, java, flash and general web surfing. Running  Propriety ATI Radeon drivers, and it's only BLUE SCREEN OF DEATHED on me once and that was last Saturday all updated installed fine registry clear fast and responsive. Running Google Chrome 12 with propriety Adobe Flash driver. DVD and MP3 codecs installed. Libre Office. Defragged. And it's brilliant. And I have a second crt screen plugged in so a window which is 1280 * 1o24 on the right and 1366 * 768 on the widescreen. And HDMI output for the 47" Panasonic LCD. Just need an HDMI lead. Two different pictures on each screen both 32 bit colour. Now try whatever I run on Linux. Ubuntu Linux that is, I cannot get the external 19" CRT screen to display in bigger than 1o24 * 768 and that was with the same image on both displays. And that is the reason I choose to run Windows 7 Home Premium at home, but for work I recommend 64 bit Ubuntu Studio always. Google Chromium is always faster on Linux. And that is the reason why I choose to run Linux. Ubuntu for web browsing. I run 64 bit Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and 64 bit Canonical Ubuntu Studio 11.o4 Linux {The Natty Narwhal} on my tower. And 32 bit Microsoft XP Pro on my 32 bit Celeron spare tower. Full clean install last Saturday with all the correct drivers. Spend most of my time using the laptop really. XP Pro only for my old webcam (which is incompatible with Windows 7 for my security system and so that I can see my animals on the web when I am away from home working. Canonical Ubuntu Studio 64 for all audio / media work. And speedy browsing. Microsoft Windows XP Pro for emergency use only when resetting. To be honest if i was given 64 bit Windows 7 free I would choose to install it, but if the option was a 64 bit Ubuntu Linux 11.o4 or a pirated version of Windows XP that worked with no problems or a 64 bit free trial of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition that would stop working after one month unless you paid money for a serial number. , I'd choose any Linux distribution. 64 bit Ubuntu Studio is what I ran for 3 years. From The Intrepid Ibex, through Jaunty Jackalope, Karmic Kuala, Lucid Lynx, Maverick Meerkat I had no problems. I chose to run proprietry drivers with NVidia drivers for the half gig spec graphics card I had bought which had a 512Mb 84oo graphics processor. System was always smooth, always responsive, rarely crashed and was always available. WiFi straight into the router which is hardwired into the tower. I need to buy a Ethenet came or go see my parents cost I've got two there i lent my dad. Having said that never had any problems using the wifi drivers on Ubuntu ever. The question was about Windows 7 though because we all know how brilliant Linux is! Especially Ubuntu or even KDE these days if you're moronic. Morninc? Is that the right word in the UK? A morning person. ;) If it was free, would i choose to run it? Well now, Microsoft have finally released a free virus checker to keep your system clean and data safe, and you can still get the Zone Labs ZoneAlarm firewall for free, and even if you choose to pay, or trial a different security software supplier every month it is still only £3o of so a year which is not a lot of money. I just installed ZoneAlarm and the Microsoft Essential Securty, and had no proplems or no issues after having run Kaspersky and Eset Nod32 on month trials. If I had to pay I'd choose Eset Nod32 over all the others for complete protection but I got Microsft Security Essentials for free for my Anti-Virus solution and ZoneLabs oneAlarm for my firewire and that was free. So I had more money to buy my friends beer. Free as in beer yes! And from freedome, came elegance. LX OS 4:2o v12.12 The Pathist Psychotic Piranha has gone RC! Release Candidate not Roman Catholic silly! Sorry where was I? For networking I have also found it excellent. Never down. Fast, always responsive. I chose to install Libre Office for all the other work. No complaints brilliant and better than having Microsoft Office free trial for a month! All in all, fully recommend it, for home use. And enterprise? Well, that one is easy too. Any Linux distribution will always win over a 32 bit XP Pro instalation.So, to conclude I rank them in order. In last place come Microsoft with Vista, and they've also got second last place with XP Pro SP3. Then we have Apple with MacOS. And then in a tie for first place for home and work use we have 64 bit Ubuntu Studio with and 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Other OS exprimented with include a 32 Fedora 10 {Fine for internet use but I could never manage to get it to play mp3's or dvd's!} on a 32 bit AMD Athlon XP processor, and a 32 bit XP Home briefly on a 32 bit Intel Celeron with 1 gig ram, For Enterprise always choose / advise the latest Ubuntu over the latest Windows., and you will always be sucessful and never be fired / unhappy! And 7 Home Pemium for occasional home use. Jennifer also recommends a 64 bit Linux Ubuntu Studio install too, and she is a rodent. So it must be good! ;)
--
 Alex Armani - IT Consultant / Digital Musician
+44 789 605 2084 - Www.Matrixism.Me.UK www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=513074140Add me to your Mafia Wars!www.myspace.com/alex.armani