[Ryedale] Possible Oct meeting

richards.malton at gmail.com richards.malton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:30:35 UTC 2011

Greetings everone, it seems a long while since meeting any of you. I have had a
few linux related projects going on from time to time since we last met. As
usual nothing is really finished, just work in progress ...

I have added a telephony application to my OpenRD Arm linux server, Freeswitch.
This acts as a home telephone exchange and answer machine gadget linking
internet, mobile, and landline phones with the possability of forwarding calls
from one to another. It uses a Linksys 3102 FXO,FXS,callerid landline gateway
and a GOIP GSM gateway, these connect to the linux server running freeswitch via
TCP/IP which can also communicate to SIP phones on the internet. I have no need
for such a system but its been intesting making it all work.

Anothert Linux applilcation is a home automation system which ties together
various other systems like light switches, thmometer and humidity sensors,
electical power meter. These can then be automated to control each other in any
way desired, it also drives a Vellman 8155 USB input output card, the status is
shown on a web page. The system is called 'Domitica', availabe from a site in
Holland. This too runs on my OpenRD Arm server.

We have decorated and rationalised our sitting room, the main PC is not there
any more, for music playing I have just got a Rio Receiver. This is a linux box
with ethernet, LCD display and Audio amplifier. Using some third party software
it now connects to my Squeezebox server to play music from mp3 files, BBS
Iplayer, or internet radion stations. Upstairs I have a O2 Joggler, this is also
a Linux box and can run Squeezeplayer and connects to my Squeezebox server PC.
Logitech Squeezeplayer is a kind of distributed system which seperates the
Sever, Player, and control aspects, this allows you to control one or more
players from each other but the main advantage is that you can get a nice colour
display on your laptop, PC, or Phone to select the media you want to listen to.
this is much better than the small display on the Rio.

I have just received in the post today a twin PCI network interface card, I'm
going to hack this into a network monitor tap which together with some special
monitoring software "DINO" will allow logging and analysis of network traffic. I
did have this running on the port mirror of my router feeding into the OpenRD
box but the traffic was a bit much for it, so I'm going to put it into an old
small PC I have.

--
I,ll be there if possible.
Best regards, David.

Al Girling <al at gcguk.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Hi folks,

Once again it's been a while since I tried to get a meeting going, but
last night while chatting with Paul T the subject came up, so here I am
suggesting we gather at Will's Bar once more for a yarn and a pint. I'm
going to say Monday the 17th, as the date which gives a couple of weeks
for you all to find an excuse for not attending! :)

Hope to see you there.

Alistair Girling

Home-page: <http://al.sdf-eu.org>