[SC.LUG] Tape Drive Fun..... NOT

Martyn Kinder sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 5 21:20:00 2002

Hi all

I posted this on comp.os.linux.hardware and got no response - anyone here
able to help?

==============================
I'm trying to get my Colorado tape (Colorado 250MB Trakker DJ-20) drive to
work on the Parallel port of my
Linux box.

I have installed the ftape and zftape modules and downloaded and installed
the latest version of the ftape-tools.

However, when I try and access the tape drive, the Floppy Drive light comes
on and the software attempts to access the FD.

Clearly I am trying to access the wrong device (/dev/qft0).

Can someone advise me what I am doing wrong. I have tried the FAQ and the
How-To and although they both state that Ftape supports this device, it
doesn't
exactly say how........ :-(

Suse Linux 7.3.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards

Martyn

PS - the reason why I want to go down this path is because:

a - I already have a tape drive and tapes
b - I do not have a spare slot to stick a scsi card in
c - I do not have a spare hole for an internal tape drive.
d - I am tight fisted and don't want to buy more modern kit when this
*should* work and will meet my needs

(Back up /etc/* & /usr/local/httpd/*)

;-)