old box contest [was Re: [SC.LUG] Damn!]

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 11 16:16:01 2002

>> It would be an interesting club contest - get the oldest ratiest
>> hardware you can find and build the best distro that is actually
>> useable
>
> Heh. fun idea :-)
>
>> I already have mine -  a 13 year old Toshiba portable PC - 200MB disk
>> (very big in those days) 12MB Ram (wow) and of course a 386SX/16
>> processor.. and a dinky orange plasma screen...
>
> Ok, Im working on mine. Im porting linux to my 15 year old Archimedes.
> its got an ARM3 and 8MB RAM, but I suspect I can get things working on
> an ARM2 with 512K of RAM...

Well I don't think I can win here, but I'm about to
get my hands on an Amiga500 (I hope), to play around
with assembler.

I'll be trying Debian on it, but I'd be interested to
hear of anyone local running any *nix on one of these.
(or any other 68K box)

"Only a phase,            |  www.affs.org.uk
these dark café days..."  |  - supporting Free Software

South Cheshire GNU/Linux Users Group www.sc.lug.org.uk