[Sc] ManLUG meetings for November 2002 through January 2003.

Dr A V Le Blanc sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 8 11:38:01 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 07:35:32PM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> whats the photo id business?

We've had several incidents of (a) thieves, (b) violent people,
(c) other kinds of intruders who come into the building and
have to be extracted forcibly.  All told, these incidents have
cost this department nearly a million pounds.  Consequently the
Powers are a bit leery of allowing public meetings in the
building.  With a little arm twisting, they decided to allow
us to continue meeting here, but people have to sign in and
(on request) to show ID to a porter.  The porters don't
usually ask unless someone looks or acts suspicious, but they do
have the right to refuse entry to anyone without identification.

I hope no one has found the security measures a burden; we try
very hard to ensure that people feel welcome.  We want Linux
people and non-Linuxers who may be interested in Linux to feel
welcome, and I hope we usually succeed.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk