[SC.LUG] New to list: Introduction and Questions

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 10:11:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:27, Richard Pineger wrote:
> I live in Middlewich and work in Wilmslow. I'm interested in Linux and have
> used it at work. I have several questions:
> - how many people are on this list?

approx 45 (after substracting those subscribed
from multiple addresses).

> - is there anyone in Middlewich?

I live about 3 miles outside of Middlewich,
and there are list members even closer, I believe.

> - where can I buy a preconfigured PC in the UK at a good price? (say less
> than £500, 2nd hand or new)

I'm losing track of what is and isn't available
new, but I am sure that there are some on the
list who will know what's currently available.

As to either second-hand, or built-to-order, I
am probably not the only one on the list who
can help you out there :-)

> - did I imagine it or do Lindows do a $20 CD with the Lindows operating
> system on it that you can stick in a Windows PC (that's a request for work)?

Do you mean that will _install_ from within
Windows (many distros can do this I believe)
- or do you mean will run without installing
on your hard drive (many solutions also
available here)?

> Can you provide a weblink?

http://knoppix.net/

Richard Smedley

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
The GNU/Linux magazine for IT decision makers

     ``The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything.
     Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this,
     and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands.''
                                                       -- Oscar Wilde

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster@livepublishing.co.uk immediately via reply email. Any personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or use.