[SC.LUG] New to list: Introduction and Questions

Ian Molton sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 14:27:00 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:51:13 +0100
Richard Pineger <richard.pineger@kudos-idd.com> wrote:

> Ian. No offence but you're a maniac.

None taken ;-)

> How would I find the unlimited
> hours to spend building first the PC then compiling an LFS Linux to go
> on it. Surely its hard enough when you can't even use a normal ISP!

To be fair, you didnt say what you wanted it for (or I didnt see).

> What I want, is to sit down, turn it on... and do what? send emails,
> surf the net and copy music I suppose. Later on, I would like to do
> work on it but, as my main tool is Framemaker and they don't produce a
> Linux version(or intend producing a Linux version) I can't see this
> happening.

Screwing together a PC is dead easy. the only things you may get wrong
are not pushing in the RAM hard enough, or putting in the floppy cable
upside down (harmless). other than that its as easy as putting up an MFI
wardrobe.

Im sure you know how to ground yourself to prevent ESD, given your
backround in electronics.

If you like I can supply a list of order codes for the parts on
ebuyer.co.uk so you can be sure of getting parts that will fit together.

> The funny thing is that Framemaker's roots are in Unix - doesn't this
> mean that they should find it easy to port to Linux?

You'd think.

If you want dual-boot *install windows first* as it will flatten the
boot sector. also keep a bootable linux CD handy, so you can get into
linux should windows flatten the bootsector during a reinstall, and
repair things by rerunning lilo or reinstalling grub...

all this is easier than you might think. certainly the precompiled
distros are as easy to install as windows - mandrake and debian being
my first choices.

If it takes more than 40 mins to screw the PC together, you're doing
something wrong.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.